Selected Upcoming Release Schedule
So 2012 is here and apparently like every year this is the one that will be the end of the Earth (according to the few and crazy). Until then, life will continue on like it normally does and that’s why I’ve compiled a short list of upcoming music releases to brighten these apocalyptic times. This of course is a list of music that I’m looking forward too as well as some other notables. You will likely not care about some and have your own list of what you’re looking forward too but I figure it cannot hurt to pass some of these releases on. So here goes nothing… and in no particular order!
1. K-os –BLack on BLonde – 2012 Originally meant to be a double album; the first a hip-hop/R&B album and the second a rock album. K-os has been noted as saying it may not end up as a double album afterall because he feels the attention span of people is too short to warrant such a large release.
2. Plants and Animals – The End of That – Feb 28th 2012 The Montreal indie outfit Plants and Animals are getting set to release their third major release with The End of That. They have already released the single "Lightshow" which can be found on the internet for a listen if you just can’t wait till the end of February to hear new music from them.
3. Of Montreal – Paralytic Stalks – Feb 7th 2012 Along with their typical crazy artwork, Of Montreal have put together a new LP that has been already touted as a very succinct and cohesive collection of songs. No singles have yet to be released but then again Of Montreal do not generally release songs that seem like singles.
Sharon Van Etten– Tramp – Feb 7th 2012 Sharon Van Etten is releasing her new album Tramp this year on Jagjaguwar. The album was produced by The National’s Aaron Dessner and includes several collaborators such as The Walkmen’s Matt Barrick (drums), Doveman’s Thomas Bartlett (keys), Wye Oak’s JennWasner, and JuliannaBarwick.
The Lemonheads – Hotel Sessions – Feb 7th 2012 According to the band’s website “The Lemonheads will release Hotel Sessions on Hall of Records/Breath of Saltwater – an intimate recording documenting a Sunday night that Evan Dando spent recording new songs with just an acoustic guitar (and some revealing commentary) in a hotel room in Bondi Beach, Australia.” Sounds… interesting. The Lemonheads (if you don’t remember) had that really catchy hit back in the 90’s called “It’s A Shame About Ray”.
Magnetic Fields – Love At The Bottom Of The Sea – March 6th 2012 The Magnetic Fields will release a new record via Merge Records this upcoming year. This will be the band’s tenth full length album and marks the first release since 1999’s 69 Love Songs. They plan a large tour in support of the release.
7. Dirty Projectors – Title TBA - Spring 2012
According to A.V. Club.com Dirty Projectors bandleader David Longstreth revealed to Spin in 2011 that the new dirty projectors record was almost finished. Apparently it was recorded in a haunted house and has a dark nature that supposedly reflects their feelings on the last decade.
8. Janelle Monae – Title TBA – 2012 According to an interview given to her hometown newspaper, Janelle Monae plans to release not one but two new albums in 2012. It may sound ambitious for a second release but then again this is coming from an artist that released The Arch Android, a massive concept album as her debut record. She apparently will release them according to her “soul clock”, so it seems that even the internet has failed to reveal any details on the date.
9. No Doubt - Title TBA – 2012 What is with all these 90’s bands coming back? I’m not complaining, because afterall nostalgia is fun, even if it is short-lived. No Doubt being one of the 90’s post-grunge juggernaut bands are set to release a new record (with no title yet) sometime in 2012. They are also rumored to be playing the epic Coachella festival this April and will likely be one of the festival’s headliners.
10. The Beach Boys - Title TBA – 2012 On brianwilson.com you can find news about the new release from this legendary band. The short of it is that they are getting together for a massive reunion(Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks) to have a 50th anniversary celebration where they will release a new record and tour extensively. I wonder if that guy from Full House will be around?
11. Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas – Jan 31st 2012 Speaking of legends… Leonard Cohen is releasing Old Ideas (the name of the record not stuff he has already done… or maybe…) early in the new year. Already up on Cohen’s Old Ideas website is a track from the album titled "Show Me the Place".
12. Metric– 2012 The fifth and latest release from Toronto band Metric is set to be release in the spring of 2012. They apparently already have the record mostly recorded and are working to mix the tracks now.
13. Kid Cudi – WZRD – Jan 20th 2012 This is actually a trick! WZRD is the name of the band not the album and is a rock duo that sees Kid Cudi and Dot da Genius as the members. Their first record is set for an early release this year and the band name was inspired by Black Sabbath.
14. The Shins – Port Of Morrow – Mar 15th 2012 Representing the bands first release in more than five years after Wincing The Night Away. It will be co-released by James Mercers Aural Apothecary and Columbia Records. Of course, a tour is planned to support the record.
15. Cranberries – Roses – Feb 14th 2012 Another dinosaur has been unearthed. Cranberries are back in February on Valentine’s Day with the release of Roses. This marks their sixth release and you can bet that they will be hitting and most likely headlining several festivals this year.